Bootloader options not identified clearly on GG

Nigel Henry cave.dnb2m97pp at aliceadsl.fr
Sat Jun 21 18:10:32 UTC 2008

I've complained about this before, but am now having another rant about this.

I've had one hell of a problem even getting the Gutsy Gibbon CD to boot on my
new machine, that has an Asus M2N-X Plus mobo, and perhaps had something to
do with the Asus EAX1550 Silent graphics card that I installed.

Anyway I've eventually got the live cd to boot, and after doing the manual
partioning , and inserting my real name, user etc, have ended up on the
"Ready to install" screen.

Now I've already been caught by this before, regarding where the bootloader is
installed, and nearly made the same mistake again by just clicking on the
install button, and the GG installer would have overwritten the MBR.

I already have 3 OS's on this drive, and apart from the first one, the
bootloader for the others is put in their respective / partitions. No way do
I want the MBR to be overwritten.

The "Ready to install" screen does have an "advanced" button at the lower
right side, but is very easy to miss what this is for. As it happens, all
this is for is the bootloader, so could we not have something a bit clearer
here, like "Bootloader Options", rather than an obscure "Advanced" button???

Nigel, and nearly overwriting my MBR again with the GG install.