microphone in Dell Inspiron 1420N / Vostro 1400

O. Sinclair o.sinclair at gmail.com
Fri Jun 20 10:54:28 UTC 2008

Just to assist anyone using Kubuntu I finally managed to get the mic
working in Kubuntu, KDE that is, 8.04 version.

Here is how:
1. in KMix choose tab Switches
2. in field "Digital Input Source" choose "Digital Mic 1" for built-in mic
3. in field "input source" set "Mic" (I set in all 3 fields)

If you use the front input mic jack then:
2. in field "Digital Input Source" choose "Analogue Inputs"
3. in field "input source" set "Front Mic" (I set in all 3 fields)

under tab "input" you might have to play around with "volumes" for the
sources

Good luck,
Sinclair