Cannot access one's own files

Steven Vollom stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jun 18 21:47:27 UTC 2008

Dotan Cohen wrote:
> 2008/6/18 Sylviane et Perry White <spwhite at freesurf.ch>:
>
>>> There are some
>>> words and ideas that cannot be expressed easily in English.
>>>
>> Cannot?
>> Many people only have English to talk and think... perhaps that could explain
>> why their speech and ideas are worthles  ;0)
>>

> Just look at what the lolcatz have to work with! But there are most
> certainly ideas for which there are no good words in English, many of
> which are related to culture. Then again, there are words in English
> for which we have no good word.
>

>>> Especially as this is an
>>> intermittent problem,
>>>
>> Personally I don't belive one can bluntely declare a computer is deterministic
>> (not sure about the word) and the same actions should always produce the same
>> effect. After all it is never exactly in the same state when you think you
>> are just redoing the thame thing. Those bugs are hard to track.
>>

> Very good point, and it is exactly the "what has changed" that I am
> trying to track down.
>

>>        you said in your first mail:
>>
>>>       Reseting the computer solves the problem temporarily, but after some
>>>       hours of operation the problem returns.
>>>
>> If you mean that "first there is a mountain, then there is not, then there
>> is"  :0)
>> either take some rest or consider it is a bug.
>> Or perhaps a memory check?
>>

> I most certainly think that this is a bug. I did not even consider the
> possibility that this is a memory issue. I will let memtest run
> tonight and see what turns up in the morning.
>

>>> and one confined to a single version of a single
>>> distro.
>>>
>> Other mails in this thread comforted me in the thinking that problems occur
>> when transferring files... but I'm not sure your problem is related.
>>

> No, the bug has no relation to copying files.
>

>> Of course whe should ask that all all languages with an alphabet (plus a few
>> diacriticla marks) should be supported. I have no idea how it is possible to
>> deal with other languages like chinese (and haven't taken the time to
>> investigate yet... so  many other things to do  :0(     :0)     )
>>
>> Perry
>>

> Based on the spam I get, the Chinese have no problem with using their
> letters on the computer!
>
> Dotan Cohen
>
> http://what-is-what.com
> http://gibberish.co.il
> א-ב-ג-ד-ה-ו-ז-ח-ט-י-ך-כ-ל-ם-מ-ן-נ-ס-ע-ף-פ-ץ-צ-ק-ר-ש-ת
>
> A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
> Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Do you have permissions correct on the partition or drive you want to
get the files from?

If not or you don't know, I have some ideas that might help.  I am kind
of new to Linux and operate Kubuntu Hardy, but with many partitions on
my machine, I had to get the permissions right to keep from being kept
out of my own files.

You are probably advanced over me, but if you think I can help, email me.

Steven      stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net