KDE4 advice

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Wed Jun 18 20:26:57 UTC 2008

2008/6/18 Mike Bird <mgb-ubuntu at yosemite.net>:
> I suggest that you test KDE 4 on a separate test system, or a separate
> partition on an existing system.  KDE 4 is not designed to co-exist with
> KDE 3.  If you simply upgrade from KDE 3 to KDE 4 you will find it
> difficult to return.

I second the idea of testing before committing, but in my [limited]
experience the two live fine side by side. I installed Kubuntu with
KDE3 on the wife's computer, then decided to make her my testbed for
KDE4, and started configuring the system. After I got so frustrated
with KDE4 that I decided instead of filing the bugs I found I would
wait until KDE 4.1, I set KDM to log her into KDE3 again. The only
drawback, like you said, is that the K menu has been polluted with KDE
4 applications. That took only five minutes to fix, and I think that I
will leave the KDE4 version of Kopete for her.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.