KDE4 advice

Willy K. Hamra w.hamra1987 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 18 19:03:52 UTC 2008

Steve Lamb wrote:
> On Wed, June 18, 2008 10:12 am, Mike Bird wrote:
>> I suggest that you test KDE 4 on a separate test system, or a separate
>> partition on an existing system.  KDE 4 is not designed to co-exist with
>> KDE 3.  If you simply upgrade from KDE 3 to KDE 4 you will find it
>> difficult to return.
>
>     Awha-huh?  This goes against my experience with KDE4.  I decided to give
> it a whirl when I had to reinstall KUbuntu.  Grabbed the KDE4 disc as I
> was ignorant of what a stinker KDE4 is.  After about 30m of
> head-thumping I did an aptitude install kde-desktop.  They co-exist.
> Furthermore it is trivial to switch between them.  At KDM select
> "Session" and then choose which one you want.  In fact right now I have
> gnome-desktop, xfce-desktop, kde-desktop and kde4-desktop all installed
> side-by-side.
>
>     The only grouse I have, as the OP pointed out, is that the menus of each
> are cluttered with portions of the other.  I don't much mind having
> Amarok in my Gnome/XFCE menus but having 3 different ways to configure
> the system in each is a tad confusing.  ;)

thanks for your replies, i don't really care much about new menus and
the like, i can adapt, specially that the new stuff will eventually
become the defaults, but it is the missing functionalities that i'm more
worried about, i heard for example that samba doesn't work properly,
which is very important for my work. so i guess i'll stick to kde3 for
now in hope it remains supported till kde4 is ready, btw, is there any
plans or some date as to when will kde3 stop being supported by the KDE
developers?
i don't know how one can bare having so many desktop environments, other
than configuring them all, i find it a bit messy and useless, unless you
like testing! :)

--
Willy K. Hamra
Manager of Hamra Information Systems