KDE4 advice

Steve Lamb grey at dmiyu.org
Wed Jun 18 17:25:06 UTC 2008

On Wed, June 18, 2008 10:12 am, Mike Bird wrote:
> I suggest that you test KDE 4 on a separate test system, or a separate
> partition on an existing system.  KDE 4 is not designed to co-exist with
> KDE 3.  If you simply upgrade from KDE 3 to KDE 4 you will find it
> difficult to return.

    Awha-huh?  This goes against my experience with KDE4.  I decided to give
it a whirl when I had to reinstall KUbuntu.  Grabbed the KDE4 disc as I
was ignorant of what a stinker KDE4 is.  After about 30m of
head-thumping I did an aptitude install kde-desktop.  They co-exist.
Furthermore it is trivial to switch between them.  At KDM select
"Session" and then choose which one you want.  In fact right now I have
gnome-desktop, xfce-desktop, kde-desktop and kde4-desktop all installed
side-by-side.

    The only grouse I have, as the OP pointed out, is that the menus of each
are cluttered with portions of the other.  I don't much mind having
Amarok in my Gnome/XFCE menus but having 3 different ways to configure
the system in each is a tad confusing.  ;)

--
Steve Lamb