KDE4 advice

Mike Bird mgb-ubuntu at yosemite.net
Wed Jun 18 17:12:16 UTC 2008

On Wed June 18 2008 09:05:54 Willy K. Hamra wrote:
> KDE4 has been getting a lot of attention lately, but has also been
> getting a lot of complaints. firstly, can i install kde4 without having
> all the kde4 apps cluttering my kde3 kmenu, and vice-versa, having a
> KDE4 that doesn't contain KDE3 apps in its menu? ie. seperate desktop
> environments. or do i have to manually remove them? is there any
> conflicts between kde3 and kde4? will kde4 over write some important
> files from my current installation? i know some of these questions might
> sound silly or been asked before, but i'm very hesitant about the move,
> and would like some advice
> thanks in advance

KDE 4 can do a few things that KDE 3 cannot do.  At this time KDE 4 can't
do a lot of things that KDE 3 can do.  The control center, konqueror,
desktop, menu, and kicker have all been dumbed down to the point where
they are silly and annoying.  (The original K menu is now available as
an option in KDE 4 to replace the awful new menu.)  OTOH, the new KDE 4
icons look pretty good.

In a year or two KDE 4 will probably outshine KDE 3, but for now it is
just a technology test bed and not really suitable for people who want
to use KDE to actually edit documents, handle email, or develop programs.

I suggest that you test KDE 4 on a separate test system, or a separate
partition on an existing system.  KDE 4 is not designed to co-exist with
KDE 3.  If you simply upgrade from KDE 3 to KDE 4 you will find it
difficult to return.

--Mike Bird