Problem with the DNS address

Alexander Smirnov alexander.v.smirnov at gmail.com
Tue Jun 17 12:05:55 UTC 2008

Pascal Francq :
> Hi,
> I use a laptop :
> 1. At work, I have a static IP adress and a given DNS adress.
> 2. At home, I use the Wifi (the DNS adress is the one of my router).
> Each I come at work again, the DNS address of my work is forgiven. I suppose
> that networkmanager changes the correct DNS address each time I am connected
> at home.
> How can I make the right DNS server changes when my static IP address is
> working? I suppose there must some kind of script to change.
> Thanks.

Look at switchconf. DNS addresses are stored in /etc/resolv.conf
 From apt-cache show switchconf:

 Switchconf allows users to easily change their system's settings,
 choosing between the possible configurations for different
 environments.
 .
 Most switchconf users are laptop owners who want to change their
 network settings according to where they currently are - but there
 are many cases for non mobile systems to desire to choose between
 configuration sets.
 .
 Switchconf is a very simple script that takes its arguments from the
 command line. It allows you to maintain different sets of
 configurations, installing the desired set of configuration when
 called with its name as an argument, and execute a pre-specified set
 of commands before and after the switch.