How to fix time?

Nigel Henry cave.dnb2m97pp at aliceadsl.fr
Mon Jun 16 16:25:27 UTC 2008

On Monday 16 June 2008 17:14, D. R. Evans wrote:
> D. R. Evans said the following at 06/16/2008 09:10 AM :
> > Now that I'm back, I notice that my clock is wrong... and the stupid
> > thing is that I can't figure out how to force it to use NTP (which is
> > what it was using before the power cut; I have no idea why it's no longer
> > using it).
>
> Hmmm... actually, it's worse than that. I can't change the time at all :-(
>
> Any option to do so seems to be greyed out.
>
>   Doc

Hi Doc. Odd that the set the time and date is greyed, but just having
installed F8 on a machine I've just built, and trying to set the time, which
was seriously out of time, I found the set time and date greyed out too.

Anyway back to your problem, and I'm not able to get into Kubuntu GG at the
mo, because of updating another distro. No not that one. Have a look
in /etc/ntp.conf, and write down the name of one of the servers, then do:
sudo ntpdate -u <server-name> (obviously changing <server-name> for the name
of one of your timeservers)

If the ntp daemon is running, it uses port 123, and the -u in the above
command allows ntpdate to use an alternative port.

Not sure of the command to stop and start services, as I use various distros,
and they are all a bit different. On my Debian installs I installed the
package sysv-rc-conf, and that allows you to stop and start services. I think
it's available on Kubuntu as well.

All the best.

Nigel.