The Speed Factor -- Kubuntu vs. Gentoo

Bruce Marshall bmarsh at bmarsh.com
Mon Jun 16 13:26:03 UTC 2008

On Saturday 14 June 2008, Derek Broughton wrote:
> Well, no, his request was "how do I make Kubuntu as fast as my friend's
> Gentoo?", and I say run it on the same hardware.  I'm sure he can fine tune
> a few parameters in the kernel, but if he can prove a speed difference that
> would be obvious to a user, I'll eat a hat...

I would agree with this...

I would doubt that any *normal* user would be able to see a difference by
tweaking the kernel unless that user is doing something VERY heavy with their
computer, like weather analysis or such...   and that makes them an abnormal
computer user.

The normal things that would affect the observed speed of a computer would be:

CPU speed
RAM  (if in short supply)
Disk I/O

all of which are hardware.

No amount of software tweaking is going to make much difference unless there
is a serious problem with the software setup.