Restore KDM3 after installing KDE4

claydoh claydoh at midmaine.com
Sun Jun 15 21:45:58 UTC 2008

On Sun June 15 2008 5:29:15 pm Dotan Cohen wrote:

> Thank you, dpkg-reconfigure was just what I needed.
>
> Other than presenting the login screen differently, is there any
> advantage / disadvantage to using the KDE3 or KDE 4 KDM? Does the
> system run the same no matter which one is used? I only ask because
> the program must remain as an active service while the machine is on,
> so obviously it is doing _something_.
>
> Dotan Cohen

Nope, your choice on login manager as far as I can tell should have no effect
on how your DE operates. You can use KDM, kdm-kde4, gdm (from Gnome) xdm,
wdm, or sdm. I don't see any real differences visually between the  2 kdm's,
but I am sure that KDE4's probably has more bug fixes and the like.

The only difference between the other login managers are what options they all
provide. wdm and xdm are more basic, and GDM I believe has a 'failsafe' mode
if your xorg settings get shot.

--
Clay Weber
http://kubuntuforums.net