The Speed Factor -- Kubuntu vs. Gentoo

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Sun Jun 15 08:53:36 UTC 2008

2008/6/15 Michael Leone <turgon at mike-leone.com>:
> Bloat? Using generic drivers, possibly, instead of optimized ones. Many
> more options compiled into the kernel, that aren't needed by your
> specific installation, perhaps.

Where can one find information about building an optimized kernel
under Ubuntu? Googling uncovered some amateur websites written by
self-proclaimed experts with 15 minutes experience (blogs) compiling
kernels under Ubuntu, but where can one find information written by an
experienced Linux system admin?

> Any OS can be fine-tuned; I think his request was more of a general "How
> do I fine tune my Linux installation?". Services that can be shut off,
> etc. This is different for all users, of course.

Where are some good places to start?

Thanks.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com