8.04 in Windows

Billie Walsh bilwalsh at swbell.net
Sun Jun 15 02:41:04 UTC 2008

Well, I tried the WUBI install. Sucks big time. Doesn't set up any
hardware. Can't do any software installs because it can't get to the
repos. It also doesn't just set up an icon on the desktop. It uses the
Windows boot manager to choose the OS to boot up instead of Grub. The
bottom line is that it doesn't run Kubuntu "in" Windows but runs it off
the NTFS file system.

First I tried the WUBI install from the install disk. Didn't even work.
Downloaded the WUBI installer from the site on Source Forge. It worked.

Then when you un-install it doesn't completely cleanup after itself. The
Windows boot loader is still jacked.

I don't think it's necessarily a bad idea just needs to be smarter.