The Speed Factor -- Kubuntu vs. Gentoo

Michael Leone turgon at mike-leone.com
Sun Jun 15 01:50:07 UTC 2008

Derek Broughton wrote:
> Robert Tilley wrote:
>
>> What are the major obstacles to running a lightning-fast Linux workstation
>> with easy package management?
>>
>> Kubuntu is a dream for ease of installation and application management.
>> This
>> comes at a price.  Kubuntu must run on a generic PC with as many drivers
>> as possible.
>
> And the "price" is what?

Bloat? Using generic drivers, possibly, instead of optimized ones. Many
more options compiled into the kernel, that aren't needed by your
specific installation, perhaps.

Any OS can be fine-tuned; I think his request was more of a general "How
do I fine tune my Linux installation?". Services that can be shut off,
etc. This is different for all users, of course.

--
Michael J. Leone                  Registered Linux user #201348
<mailto:turgon at mike-leone.com>

People believe in the unseeable, but will not see the unbelievable.
                                 -- "Dark Season", Rusell T. Davies