i hate nvidia drivers

Alan_Dacey at horizonblue.com Alan_Dacey at horizonblue.com
Fri Jun 13 18:06:35 UTC 2008

>On Thursday 12 June 2008 04:11:02 pm Willy K. Hamra wrote:
>> i got the system restored, it's all back fine, using the properietary
>> driver from the repos. the only time i remember that i got a working
>> nvidia setting other than using the repos, was using "envy", and that
>> was on feisty, but some people on IRC advised me not to use it as it
can
>> create other problems, i was new to linux back then and took their
>> advice. does anyone on the list use envy? is it reliable?
>
>I use it, and I'm not sure what other problems it would cause that using
the
>restricted driver would not also cause.
>
>I think if you enable universe in Hardy (8.04) you can install it from
there.
>its called envyng now.

I've used the drivers from nVidia with Ubuntu 7.10 and had problems too. I
finally
got it working and then the 8.04 upgrade put me in a world of hurt.  When
I did a
fresh install of Kubuntu I decided to give envy a try.  This time I found
it in the
repros as 'envyng'.  I had problems running the GUI version (probably
because I didn't
remove a couple of things correctly, but hey, I'm still kinda new here).
When I ran
it from the cli it worked just like it should.  I've had no problems at
all even
after multiple kernel upgrades, started at 2.6.22.16 and last night went
to 2.6.22.19
Compiz is running and all the eye candy is working.  I think that the envy
for 8.04
has had some major improvements and it is stable for me.  I recently built
my box
with all up-to-date components too.

Alan Dacey
GrokIt on the forums
This message and any attachments are solely for the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient, disclosure, copying, use, or distribution of the information included in this message is prohibited -- please immediately and permanently delete this message.