8.04 in Windows

Michael Leone turgon at mike-leone.com
Fri Jun 13 16:12:43 UTC 2008

On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 11:39 AM, Billie Walsh <bilwalsh at swbell.net> wrote:
> because I had taken out the modem card which I have no need of and they
> wiped the hard drive and re-installed back to factory original because
> it was dual booted with Kubuntu.

It wasn't Kubuntu, specifically; they would have done the same if you
had 2 versions of Windows installed (which you can do, BTW). Standard
procedure is to reformat back to factory state; this way, they know
that any continuing problems are not caused by any other OS that they
did not personally install.

> I would rather not run Kubuntu within Windows, especially Vista, but IF
> I had to send it in perhaps they wouldn't notice like they would if it's
> dual booted in a normal fashion. It's strictly a warranty issue for repairs.

Well, if Kubuntu runs as just an app in Windows, then they shouldn't
notice anything. Unless, of course, they do as above, and set you back
to factory install state, which is the only thing they know for
certain they are responsible for ....

--
Michael J. Leone
<mailto:turgon at mike-leone.com>

Life is a tragedy for those who feel, a comedy for those who think,
and a cereal for those who are hungry ...