8.04 in Windows

Billie Walsh bilwalsh at swbell.net
Fri Jun 13 15:39:08 UTC 2008

Michael Leone wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 10:22 AM, Billie Walsh <bilwalsh at swbell.net> wrote:
>
>> Has anyone tried the new feature to install within Windows?
>>
>> My reasoning is that I just bought a new laptop and I hate to do
>> anything while it's in warranty,
>>

> No need to justify what you do with your own computers. If you want to
> run Kubuntu in Windows, have fun. I haven't done it, but others have,
> and the reviews I read indicate it works just fine. If you want to run
> solely Windows on your laptop, go ahead. Do whatever works best for
> you. Regardless of how it appears sometimes, it's not like you *have*
> to choose one or the other - that Windows is the enemy or something. I
> use both, voluntarily, because each does some things better than the
> other. As they say, the right tool for the job.
>
> Let us know how it works under Windows.

Under other conditions I would just load Kubuntu and move on. BUT, if
you call in and tell them I don't have Windows they get all testy. If
you have to send it in for repairs and have it dual
booted..........well............it won't be when you get it back.

I went through that with a desktop I bought a couple years ago. They
left out the air duct that goes to the CPU fan. They couldn't just send
me the duct, I had to send it in for "repair". They were all testy
because I had taken out the modem card which I have no need of and they
wiped the hard drive and re-installed back to factory original because
it was dual booted with Kubuntu. It was no big deal because I was still
setting it up and using my other computer for my main box, but it did
kind of piss me off a bit. All they needed to do was pop the cover,
install the duct, and ship it back but NO they had to play around with it.

I would rather not run Kubuntu within Windows, especially Vista, but IF
I had to send it in perhaps they wouldn't notice like they would if it's
dual booted in a normal fashion. It's strictly a warranty issue for repairs.