PDF reader that lets one override fonts

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Fri Jun 6 19:59:36 UTC 2008

2008/6/6 Donn <donn.ingle at gmail.com>:
>> it still would not let me override that
>> terrible embedded font!
> What do you get when you use pdffonts on the file? I am just wondering if that
> fugly font is actually embedded or if your system is looking for it, not
> finding it and using some terrible replacement. It could be a matter of
> rewiring things to feed a better font in...

hardy2 at hardy2-laptop:~$ pdffonts chapter1_exp-1.pdf
name                                 type              emb sub uni object ID
------------------------------------ ----------------- --- --- --- ---------
CHBAKA+TimesNewRomanPSMT             TrueType          yes yes no      59  0
CHBALP+GuttmanYad-Brush              CID TrueType      yes yes yes     60  0
CHBANO+GuttmanYad-Brush              TrueType          yes yes no      61  0
CHBAPN+GuttmanYadLight               CID TrueType      yes yes yes     62  0
CHBBAI+GuttmanYadLight               TrueType          yes yes no      64  0
TimesNewRomanPS-BoldMT               TrueType          no  no  no      65  0
ArialMT                              TrueType          no  no  no      63  0
TimesNewRomanPS-ItalicMT             TrueType          no  no  no      74  0
CHBCAA+SymbolMT                      CID TrueType      yes yes yes     75  0
CHBKLK+MT-Extra                      CID TrueType      yes yes yes     33  0
Arial-BoldMT                         TrueType          no  no  no      34  0
CHAPKP+TimesNewRomanPSMT             CID TrueType      yes yes yes     39  0
hardy2 at hardy2-laptop:~$

It is the GuttmanYad fonts that are illegible. All four are embedded.

How does one rewire things to feed a better font in?!?

I have found this tool:
http://multivalent.sourceforge.net/Tools/pdf/Compress.html
I have downloaded the Multivalent20060102.jar file, yet I cannot
figure out how to 'optimize' the PDFs and remove the embedded fonts.

*) Also, I _think_ that the command fc-match can configure the system
to replace one font with another, but I have not been able to succeed
with it.

*) Also, apparently, one should be able to configure alternative fonts
in ~/.fonts.config but I cannot find examples of how to do that.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.