Using IMAP for the list

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Tue Jun 3 16:16:13 UTC 2008

Neil Winchurst wrote:

> I think I have not understood how IMAP works. Can I check please? I
> created two new mail boxes on my HD at home. Then I set the filter to
> place each email in one or the other of those new boxes. This was all
> done on the home HD. I did not do anything on the server.

If they're really mailboxes, as opposed to folders under your IMAP account,
then yes - moving them with a KMail filter will remove them from the
server.

If you create them as folders on the IMAP server, you can (iirc) create a
KMail filter that will move them between the folders (deleting them from
the source folder) but it's a band-width intensive activity because the
whole message gets downloaded, then uploaded...

> I expected all emails to be placed in the Inbox on the server and to
> stay there. I expected the filtering to effect my home HD only and that
> all the emails should remain on the server in the Inbox. Is this wrong?

If you tell it to "move" mails, then yes.  Move implies "copy and delete".

> Should I have set up two new matching mail boxes on the server and then
> filtered them on the server as well?

I'd suggest filtering them on the server _instead_, if it's possible for
you.
--
derek