Problems with KDE4 under Kubuntu Hardy

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Mon Jun 2 13:22:03 UTC 2008

Art Alexion wrote:

> On Sunday 01 June 2008 21:04:53 Derek Broughton wrote:
>> Art Alexion wrote:
>

>> > Konqueror, possibly my favorite piece of software, is a second rate
>> > browser.
>> > Not third of fourth fate, but not first rate either.  It just doesn't
>> > work on a lot of web sites many of us need — with me, for instance, my
>> > bank.
>>
>> I understand your complaint, but I disagree with the reasoning.  It
>> doesn't work with your bank because it's a _first-rate_ browser, and your
>> bank has second-rate web programmers :-)  (OK, there are actually
>> standards-based problems with Konqueror, too, so it isn't as good as it
>> should be, but I agree with the developers that it shouldn't be running
>> in "handle-all-of-IE's-bugs mode").
>
> I don't have the luxury of not using my bank's online banking service
> because it stretches standards.

Yeah, I know - but at least complain to your bank.  With the tools available
these days, there's no excuse for web pages not being compliant.  Run a
page that doesn't work in Konqueror through the W3C validator, and send the
results to the bank.

> If we think of software as a tool,then I want a tool that does the job.  I
> want a crowbar that will pull most all nails, bot just those nails that
> adhere to certain standards.
>
> In this "adherence to standards" debate, I lie with those who insist that
> software that *creates* stuff should adhere to standards when doing so,
> but software that *accesses* stuff should be able to access anything a
> user is
> likely to come across.  That is what makes it a powerful and valuable
> tool.

I know, and I think that at times Konqueror is too strict about sticking to
standards, versus actually working - but where do you draw the line?  It
probably isn't even possible to create a browser that can handle anything
IE can, as I suspect many of its quirks were never intentional.
--
derek