KDE 4.1

Myriam Schweingruber schweingruber at pharma-traduction.ch
Thu Jul 31 21:00:43 UTC 2008

Hi Alain, hi all,

On 29/07/2008, Alain Muls <alain.muls at telenet.be> wrote:
> Hi kubuntu-users
>
>  From time to time, in the evening, I try out the KDE4.1 on Hardy Heron for
> which I have a separate partition set up. I find the look and feel (mostly)
> very nice and the KDE applications respond faster (eg. startup time) than in
> the v3.5 versions I daily use.
>
>  However, the 4.1 version is by far not as stable as I wanted and does not
> perform the stuff promised in reviews of this new version.

We are back on the same subject again as it seems :) KDE 4.0 was a
release for developers only, so it was probably too buggy for the
average user, but if someone wants to try it he should not complain...
but file bugs and help to make it better.

As of KDE 4.1, this release is meant for experienced users who are not
afraid of occasional glitches, bugs and sometimes even freezes and
crashes in the various packages. As KDE 4.1 comes with a lot of
software in various development stages, one should not expect flawless
runs for quite a few of them.

So if you expect a stable and flawless system, you should definitely
NOT run KDE 4.1. If you decide to give it a try, of course it would be
nice to report the occasional bugs you run across, but this list is
definitely not the right platform for that, you should use
http://bugs.kde.org instead.

Now if you base your expectations on promises made by reviewers, you
should be aware that these can vary depending on platform,
distribution and even moment of the day, as there is quite some
development going on, minute by minute.

A better source for what to expect with KDE 4.1 is the official
release note from kde here: http://www.kde.org/announcements/4.1/ and
the very fine page in the KDE techbase here:
http://techbase.kde.org/Schedules/Is_KDE_4.1_for_you%3F. Read also
this blog entry here:
http://liquidat.wordpress.com/2008/07/29/kde-41-a-kde-that-suits-you/,
on the same subject.

I would also suggest you read http://planetkde.org on a regular basis
to follow what's going on in the KDE world, especially regarding
progress of KDE 4.x.

Greets

Myriam

--
Protect your freedom, join the Fellowship of FSFE!
http://www.fsfe.org