Q: 4.1 and non-interference with 3.5.9?

pkaplan1 at comcast.net pkaplan1 at comcast.net
Wed Jul 30 02:13:23 UTC 2008

So here's my take after playing around with beta, rc1 and today, the final release...

Your data is probably completely safe.  I would say less about your configuration, but that can probably be managed by making a backup of ~/.kde before playing around with kde4.

The biggest problem I've run into is that if I use the classic K menu in 4.1, when it crashes (which it is still prone to do), it will mess up the K menu in 3.5.9 for that user.

To go a bit OT...The other thing I have noticed is that a number of system tray applets (smb4k, knetload, networkmanager, guidance-power-manager) will only load to the 4.1 tray if 3.5.9 is running (run 4.1 as the same user under a different X session).  These do not load if 3.5.9 isn't running.

I agree with the initial reviews that 4.1 is more than usable, but it still isn't at the level of 3.5.9 and the small speed increase is not a sufficiently compelling reason to switch.

Paul
From: "D. R. Evans" <doc.evans at gmail.com>