wlan and interfaces

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Fri Jul 25 18:29:12 UTC 2008

Donn wrote:

>> Generally, you _shouldn't_ have anything else in there.
> If one does not use a gui to setup network stuff, where should all the
> humpty-dumpty for eth0/1 and wireless go? Just asking cos I stick all
> kinds of junk in /etc/network/interfaces

If one doesn't use Network manager, everything probably belongs
in /etc/network/interfaces, but I hate trying to debug somebody's network
problems when they start by breaking NM and then complain NM doesn't work.

I've never had a need to have a wired interface mentioned
in /etc/network/interfaces since NM became part of Ubuntu.  Sometimes,
complicated setups need something but it's best to start from a clean file.
--
derek