ASUS Eee 900 notebook with Ubuntu (slightly off list)

Tom Bell cbell44 at cfl.rr.com
Fri Jul 25 18:18:39 UTC 2008

I found the site (click on it, or copy and paste) below where the author
has established a version of Ubuntu that will load and run on the ASUS
Eee 900.  Maybe it can be changed to Kubuntu (I haven't tried yet).
However, I do know from personal experience that it does load and run on
the Eee 900.  I used a USB DVD drive to do it, although they have a
download for a bootable USB drive version.  Looks good!!!

http://www.ubuntu-eee.com/index.php5?title=Main_Page

Admittedly the camera support has not yet been incorporated into this
version, but then when did (K,X,Ed...)Ubuntu ever support cams out of
the box.  The Wifi is fully supported and works.
As a side note: I have a laserjet running off the router and was able to
easily load support for it using Synaptic.  For the most part is was
almost impossible for me to get support on my Kubuntu box w/AMD64 using
all the tools except for Synaptic.  Wish I had tried it before.  The
printer is Brother HL-4040CN and works quite well with the router.
Hope this information (about the Eee 900) helps anyone looking for a
notebook running a decent linux distro.

Tom