More on 8.04.1 buggy

Jonas Norlander jonorland at gmail.com
Fri Jul 25 18:18:03 UTC 2008

2008/7/25 Gerald I. Evenden <geraldi.evenden at gmail.com>:
> While answering one of the comments on my previous complaint the disc
> thrashing started again.  I had been on the machine for about an hour prior
> to this event.  Again, per suggestion, I tried 'top' but could not figure out
> what was happening.  Then a popup message occurred indicating that I was
> running out of memory.  Because I wanted to get my email our I quickly sent
> it an then did a shutdown.
>
> After rebooting I did a df which showed:
> Filesystem           1K-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
> /dev/sda6            152132292 136379128   8086148  95% /
> varrun                 1030896       156   1030740   1% /var/run
> varlock                1030896         0   1030896   0% /var/lock
> udev                   1030896        64   1030832   1% /dev
> devshm                 1030896         0   1030896   0% /dev/shm
> lrm                    1030896     45040    985856
> 5% /lib/modules/2.6.24-19-generic/volatile
>
> and indeed I was running out of memory.  I then did a du of my home user
> directory and the follwing extract:
> 129128672       ./.strigi/clucene
> 4       ./.strigi/estraier
> 129128688       ./.strigi
> !!!
>
> I did a '/bin/rm -r .strigi' and disc usage is back to around 6%.
>
> I know there is a program called strigi which I tried a few weeks ago but had
> not knowingly used it since.  I guess it is tied to Konqueror.
>
> Is this program prone to runaway states?
>
> Any suggestions or comments appreciated.

Strigi is a desktop search daemon that index your files. If you search
the archive of this list you would see nothing but trouble for those
that tried it, the daemon crashes all the time, the index-files fills
up your disk and using the different GUI for searching something only
give you 10.000 results from your web browser cache. I never got it to
work in Gutsy or Hardy so now i always uninstall it. Why the Kubuntu
developer includes a program as default that don't work i cant
understand and they have done it for two releases now.

/ Jonas