8.04.1 so buggy I'm about to go back to Dapper

Knapp magick.crow at gmail.com
Thu Jul 24 20:21:13 BST 2008

> On Thursday 24 July 2008, Gerald I. Evenden wrote:
>> under Dapper but now the only usage form is 1280x1024.  I tried to reload
>> the Nvidia driver but things got worse.

My upgrade to 8.04 landed me in Nvidia hell but after some playing
around I got the xorg.conf set right to make my monitor work. I don't
think much of the resent changes to xorg.config, they don't seem to
work well and I have had to go in and change things by hand a lot and
guess at some settings. Luckily for me, I started Linux back when this
was the only way.

Another question was did you do a full install or and update?

My system is working just find now except for java and my mouse driver
still is not set right. The mouse is because I want ALL the buttons to
work. The  base install gave me a working basic mouse. I never use
java and have not taken the time to fix it yet. I am sure some link
somewhere is wrong.

I am running an AMD X2 64 bit with Nvidia. Everything is stable
though, after the fight to get the system up and working. Also this is
a twin to a long term support ubuntu so that seems good to me.

--
Douglas E Knapp