8.04.1 so buggy I'm about to go back to Dapper

Thomas K. Gamble tkg at lanl.gov
Thu Jul 24 20:12:12 UTC 2008

On Thursday 24 July 2008 09:30:00 am Gerald I. Evenden wrote:

> Current nasty is that I can't determine the correct selection
> monitor/nvidia version to get my 1600x1200 screen to work.  Worked fine
> under Dapper but now the only usage form is 1280x1024.  I tried to reload
> the Nvidia driver but things got worse.

I had problems here as well.  I have twin Samsung 24" widescreens at 1920x1200
that wouldn't work with my old xorg.conf.

What I did was:

"sudo apt-get install envyng-core"
run "sudo envyng" and let it install the nvidia drivers.
run "sudo nvidia-settings", configure as desired and save to xorg.conf.

The resulting xorg.conf was somewhat different than my original, but it works
just fine.

> Firefox and Konqueror are mixed as to what works on what.  Java works (at
> least partially) on Firefox but fails on Konqueror.  I can view youtube on
> Konqueror but not Firefox,  ... and on and on.

Running 64 bit on dual opterons here and installing "flashplugin-nonfree" got
youtube working ok.  I still have some problems with JRE versions not jibing
with zoneminder stuff.

> Some programs just disappear when I try to execute them.
>
> Sometime, the disc seems to be thrashing around for a very long time in the
> background.  I'm not used to this under Dapper.

How is your system partitioned?

--
Thomas K. Gamble
System/Network Administrator, Cyber Systems Security Officer

There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
    Henry Kissinger