kdm login background

O. Sinclair o.sinclair at gmail.com
Tue Jul 22 08:29:27 BST 2008

O. Sinclair wrote:
> lanzen wrote:
>> On Monday 21 July 2008 21:44:14 Jonas Norlander wrote:
>>
>>> KDM (Kde Display Manager) is the login manager for KDE and has nothing
>>> to do with any window manager. KDE's window manager is Kwin.
>> Exactely! So, Sinclair, just have a look in
>> /usr/share/apps/kdm/themes/ where you should find one or more folders,
>> depending on how many themes you got. By default you should have three:
>> Circles, kubuntu and kubuntu-nouser-list. Have you got that?
>>
>> Any way try a "sudo apt-get install kdm" and tell us what happens.
>>
> thanks for many replies and advice! As it is - yes kdm was installed all
> along but not kdmtheme. The themes are there however. I installed
> kdmtheme and tried to get back to the kubuntu theme. No luck, it seems
> Login Manager completely overrides.
>
> I found hints on the net that kdmtheme is broken in Gutsy, might be so
> in Hardy too. I will drill further later and report back.
After much searching on the net and testing a few things I found what I
needed in these 3 links:
http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show.php?content=22120&forumpage=18&PHPSESSID=ca03e058b90
http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?topic=3088004.0
http://www.tecpages.com/solution-for-kubuntu-710-gutsy-kdm-theme-not-changing/

The Kubuntu team has set up a system where in
/etc/kde3/kdm/backgroundrc
this setting
Wallpaper=default_blue.jpg
will enable kdm startup script to read /etc/default/kdm.d/

so messing with wallpaper in Login Manager completely hoses the kdm
theme... as this changes exactly that line/setting. Now in
/etc/default/kdm.d we find the file
"20_kubuntu_default_settings"
that contains these lines:
USETHEME="true"
THEME="/usr/share/apps/kdm/themes/kubuntu"
USEBACKGROUND="true"
WALLPAPER="/usr/share/wallpapers/kubuntu-wallpaper.jpg"
USESYSTEMLOCALE="true"
FACESOURCE="PreferUser"

these are lines that KDM Thememanager expect to find in
/etc/kde3/kdm/kdmrc
so I copied them there to section [X-*-Greeter]
then I renamed 20_kubuntu_default_settings to something else.

After reboot the Kubuntu KDM login theme shows up and you can use the
KDM Thememanager to change between themes. Any change of wallpaper using
the Login Manager again removes the KDM login theme as it changes the
/etc/kde3/kdm/backgroundrc
Wallpaper=default_blue.jpg
to something else.

Now whether one can call this a bug or not I do not know. I don't
understand why Kubuntu team has chosen to move a certain section of the
kdmrc file to its own file, thereby breaking the KDM ThemeManager
functionality, and I certainly do not understand why the whole
functionality of the KDM Themes hinges on whether the user sets a login
background wallpaper via Login Manager or not.

I think it is Launchpad bug time.

Regards,
Sinclair