Smaller model laptops in combination with Kubuntu, request for advice?

Jim mickeyboa at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jul 21 17:19:14 UTC 2008

Tom Bell wrote:
> kubuntu-users-request at lists.ubuntu.com wrote:
>
> Bas Roufs wrote:
>

>>> Dear everybody
>>>
>>> A few weeks ago, a laptop from me has been stolen again. That's why I am
>>> looking for a lighter/ smaller laptop model that is more easy to always
>>> carry with me, but which can be combined with Kubuntu.
>>>
>>> At present, I am considering "ASUS Eeee PC", version 901 or version
>>> 1000. Both new versions  seem to become available in September.  Main
>>> technical specifications:
>>> 1,6 Ghz processor (both models), 1 GB RAM (version 901) or 2 GB RAM
>>> (version 1000),  20 GB 'solid state disk' (version 901) or 40 GB
>>> (version 1000).
>>> More technical details:
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASUS_Eee_PC
>>>
>>> Both models are being sold along with the Linux distribution 'Xandros'
>>> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xandros)
>>>
>>> Does anybody have any experience at all with some version of 'ASUS Eeee
>>> PC'? If you, did you already install Kubuntu on it? If so, how?
>>>
>>> Are there any other smaller model laptops you could advise me in
>>> combination with Kubuntu?
>>>
>>> Thanks for your reflections.
>>>

>>> Bas.
>>>
> Bas,
> All I can say is that so far I cannot get Wifi to work with Kubuntu 8.04
> HH.  As with my desktop it does not see the Wifi card with 'lshw', but
> does see it with 'lspci', go figure.  When loading Kubuntu HH, it said
> it was loading the restricted drivers for the wlan card, but that is the
> extent of support.  Of course, I should have mentioned earlier that I
> have an ASUS Eee900 linux that came with Xandros.  The Xandros will work
> fine with Wifi, but the distro is so bad that I can't recommend it
> unless that person is brain damaged.  Kubuntu HH does come up in
> 1024x780(approx.), which is nice.  Just don't plan on using wlan/Wifi.
> So far, I have not found anyone willing/able to help with the problem.
> I have been to many sites checking out the various workarounds for this
> problem but have been, needless to say, completely unsuccessful.
> Good luck!
>
> Tom

Tom , do a lspci -vv and see if your wireless is the same that is in my
Eee702, if it is the the same as below Subsystem: See if the Unknown
device 1a3b:1026 is the same, then if you go to Madwifi and get this
madwifi-nr-r3366+ar5007.tar.gz
driver and compile it works perfect in Fedora 8, it should compile in
Ubuntu-8.04  with out any problems.
It even works fine using WEP.

01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR242x
802.11abg Wireless PCI Express Adapter (rev 01)
        Subsystem: Unknown device 1a3b:1026
        Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop-
ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
<TAbort-<MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
        Latency: 0, Cache Line Size: 16 bytes
        Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 18
        Region 0: Memory at fbef0000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]
        Capabilities: <access denied>
        Kernel driver in use: ath_pci
        Kernel modules: ath_pci, ath5k