Smaller model laptops in combination with Kubuntu, request for advice?

Richard Ibbotson richard.ibbotson at gmail.com
Mon Jul 21 16:53:23 UTC 2008

On Monday 21 July 2008 17:36:22 Tom Bell wrote:
> kubuntu-users-request at lists.ubuntu.com wrote:
>
> Bas Roufs wrote:
> > > Dear everybody
> > >
> > > A few weeks ago, a laptop from me has been stolen again. That's
> > > why I am looking for a lighter/ smaller laptop model that is
> > > more easy to always carry with me, but which can be combined
> > > with Kubuntu.

> Bas,
> All I can say is that so far I cannot get Wifi to work with Kubuntu
> 8.04 HH.  As with my desktop it does not see the Wifi card with
> 'lshw', but does see it with 'lspci', go figure.

http://wiki.eeeuser.com/ubuntu:kubuntu:home
http://wiki.eeeuser.com/getting_ubuntu_8.04_to_work_perfectly

"  Enabling wifi
Wireless internet does not work on the Eee on installation. To update
the drivers, open a terminal window
(Applications>Accessories>Terminal) and enter the following commands:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install build-essential
wget 'http://snapshots.madwifi.org/special/madwifi-ng-r3366+ar5007.tar.gz'
tar zxvf madwifi-ng-r3366+ar5007.tar.gz