Automatic reconnect to wireless network

Martin Laberge mlsoft at videotron.ca
Fri Jul 18 20:15:05 UTC 2008

On Friday 18 July 2008 15:36:53 Derek Broughton wrote:
> Donn wrote:
>
> > On Friday, 18 July 2008 18:47:19 Derek Broughton wrote:
> >> This is true.  Network manager doesn't understand the use of multiple
> >> concurrent interfaces
> > Does 'network manager' mean a gui thing (my laptop runs Ubuntu) or is it
> > some lower-level thing?
>
> Network manager is "lower level".  knetwork-manager and it's gnome
> counterpart are the GUIs for it.
>
> > It seems weird that it can't handle eth0 and
> > wireless at the same time -- even Windoze can do it!
>
> It's easy enough to set up, but I don't actually know anybody who needs a
> wired _and_ wireless connection working at the same time (I know such
> topologies exist, but it's an uncommon requirement for a home computer).
> Why would Windows do it either?  My experience is that Windows uses a wired
> connection when available - and making it use two connections at once is
> harder than with Ubuntu.
> --
> derek

Does anyone ever used 'wicd' ?

this replace network manager, and do all the stuff
you would ever wanted network-manager to do.

all this automagically.

apt-get install wicd

I personnaly add it to my first steps after installing a laptop.

--
Martin Laberge
mlsoft at videotron.ca
Tel:(418)521-6823
30 Years of Unix Admin, and still learning...