Problems with 8.04.1

Gerald I. Evenden geraldi.evenden at gmail.com
Fri Jul 11 16:44:44 UTC 2008

I just installed a downloaded DVD of Kubuntu 8.04.1 amd64 to replace my
outdated Dapper.  The installation was a little ragged but managed on the
last run to get to 96% and a statement that it was removing unnecessary file
and then it just went into hyperspace.  Hitting the power button caused a
GRUB boot into the new system and everything seemed to work  ... up to a
point.

One can do a "gcc hello.c" but gcc can't find the stdio.h header file.  In
fact, the /usr/include directory is nearly empty.

I cannot find anything related to C or compilers on adept.

I am totally clueless on how to get my bread-and-butter software up and
running!

Oh yes, I cannot find a damned thing related to the TeX system on adept
either.

There are other lesser issues like where is ccat (encryption stuff), etc.,
that was part of basic Dapper instalation?