Trying to remove samba on GG wants to remove Kubuntu-desktop

Nigel Henry cave.dnb2m97pp at aliceadsl.fr
Thu Jul 10 18:33:16 UTC 2008

On Thursday 10 July 2008 19:31, Nigel Henry wrote:
> On Thursday 10 July 2008 19:09, Nils Kassube wrote:
> > Nigel Henry wrote:
> > > Well this is a bit weird. I don't use MS Windows, so don't need Samba,
> > > and being on dialup, Samba updates are not needed. So I open synaptic,
> > > and check remove samba-common. Now I'm told that kubuntu-desktop, and
> > > smbclient are going to be removed. Now I've no problems with smbclient
> > > being removed, but why the hell does removing samba, also want to
> > > remove my desktop.
> >
> > You can remove kubuntu-desktop without loosing any installed program. The
> > package kubuntu-desktop is a meta-package which depends on all packages
> > needed to install the desktop.
> >

> > Nils
>
> Apologies for my paranoia. I seriously thought that I was going to lose the
> desktop. The only thing installed now is libsmbclient, and updated, but
> I'll soon get rid of that.
>
> Thanks for your help, and quick reply.
>
> Nigel.

I may have been a bit hasty, when I said, regarding libsmbclient "I'll soon
get rid of that".

In Synaptic, selecting "Mark for Complete Removal" for libsmbclient, it wants
to remove the following packages.
amarok
amarok-xine
digicam
kaffeine
kaffeine-xine
kdebase-kio-plugins
kmail
kmailcvt
kmplayer-base
kmplayer-konq-plugins
konq-plugins
konqueror
konqueror-nsplugins
kontact
kubuntu-konqueror-shortcuts
libxine1
mozilla-mplayer
mplayer
and last but not least
strigi-applet (whatever that is)

Needless to say, I havn't agreed to these removals, and think that it may be
best to leave libsmbclient installed, as I don't want to lose a load of
music/media apps, along with a bunch of other stuff.

It is all a bit bizarre though. Why should removing a library "libsmbclient",
which is a library that samba uses for file sharing between linux, and
windows machines, want to remove a whole bunch of music/media apps, as some
sort of dependencies.

Very puzzled.

Nigel.