Trying to remove samba on GG wants to remove Kubuntu-desktop

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Thu Jul 10 17:18:25 UTC 2008

Nigel Henry wrote:

> Well this is a bit weird.

Not at all...

> I don't use MS Windows, so don't need Samba, and
> being on dialup, Samba updates are not needed. So I open synaptic, and
> check remove samba-common. Now I'm told that kubuntu-desktop, and
> smbclient are going to be removed.

Naturally...

> Now I've no problems with smbclient
> being removed, but why the hell does removing samba, also want to remove
> my desktop.

It's _not_ your desktop.  It's the kubuntu-desktop metapackage.  The
*-desktop packages depend on all the standard elements of that desktop,
therefore removing any standard component of your chosen desktop will force
it to remove the metapackage.  No big deal (except that the version update
process is predicated on the existence of the desktop package, and will
either not work or will _reinstall_ kubuntu-desktop - I can't remember
which).
--
derek