Trying to remove samba on GG wants to remove Kubuntu-desktop

Willy K. Hamra w.hamra1987 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 10 17:19:01 UTC 2008

Nils Kassube wrote:
> Nigel Henry wrote:
>> Well this is a bit weird. I don't use MS Windows, so don't need Samba,
>> and being on dialup, Samba updates are not needed. So I open synaptic,
>> and check remove samba-common. Now I'm told that kubuntu-desktop, and
>> smbclient are going to be removed. Now I've no problems with smbclient
>> being removed, but why the hell does removing samba, also want to
>> remove my desktop.
>
> You can remove kubuntu-desktop without loosing any installed program. The
> package kubuntu-desktop is a meta-package which depends on all packages
> needed to install the desktop.
>

> Nils

if kubuntu-desktop got removed, and he ran apt-get (or any other package
program), won't he get a huge list of kubuntu-dekstop dependencies that
were installed and are no longer needed, and would suggest he run
"apt-get autoremove" to remove them? as far as i know, whenever i want
to remove a program and all it's packages i remove the meta-package, and
run "sudo apt-get autoremove". and maybe i'm wrong :)

--
Willy K. Hamra
Manager of Hamra Information Systems