Trying to remove samba on GG wants to remove Kubuntu-desktop

Nigel Henry cave.dnb2m97pp at aliceadsl.fr
Thu Jul 10 16:53:26 UTC 2008

Well this is a bit weird. I don't use MS Windows, so don't need Samba, and
being on dialup, Samba updates are not needed. So I open synaptic, and check
remove samba-common. Now I'm told that kubuntu-desktop, and smbclient are
going to be removed. Now I've no problems with smbclient being removed, but
why the hell does removing samba, also want to remove my desktop.

On the face of it, it looks I've got to put up with samba being installed,
unless I want to lose my desktop.

Any suggestions folks?

Some workaround perhaps, where I can block updates for samba.

Thanks for any help on this annoying problem.

Nigel.