Video Cards on linux

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at
Mon Jul 7 18:44:39 BST 2008

2008/7/2 Juan Kawada <juankawada at>:
> Ok, so with linux a lot of people seem to have problems with video cards,
> and their drivers. I'm just wondering, what cards have you used and what was
> the overall experiance with them? Were you using the proprietary drivers, or
> the opensource versions?
> Right now I'm using an ATI Radeon 2600 HD Pro. Everything works well enough
> with only some minor problems. First, when I boot up my computer the screen
> resolution is never correct, but krandrtray fixes that easily enough.
> Another problem was that the free Alsa driver that was used automatically
> with my install didn't support 3D, and so I had to enable the proprietary to
> get compiz, and to play games. Overall though, I can't complain.
> I'm just looking to gain some knowlage about different cards here, for other
> people I know who are curious, and for when I decide to upgrade my own
> card.  So please no flame wars about propriety vs open drivers (which always
> seems to happen in other discussions on this topic).

My 1.5 year old Dell Inspiron laptop came with the ATI x1400 video
card. At the time, I had major headaches with the card and anything
video related: screen resolution, Beryl, Google Earth, etc. Now that
ATI is Linux-friendly, I can run Google Earth with Compiz-Fusion, and
all at the native 1680x1050 resolution. It is _fast_. It also
installed on Kubuntu 8.04 with no problems: I just put the install
disc in and it worked.

I say to go with either Intel or ATI graphics. And when you are in the
store, make sure that you tell the salesman that you are buying ATI /
Intel for their Linux support. Let them hear the L word a few times
and it will sink in that people are using Linux.

Dotan Cohen

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?