A modest proposal for proprietary drivers - little OT

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Mon Jul 7 17:47:27 UTC 2008

2008/7/6 Valter Mura <valtermura at gmail.com>:
> Hi All,
>
> as I'm very tired to "fight" against Companies that produce the hardware (I
> mean, above all, devices such as printers, scanners, and so on) "almost"
> or "exclusively" for Windows and Mac, I thought it could be useful to open a
> signature collection for all Linux users, let's say, in the world.
> The goal is to make a general petition to the big sisters of the world (such
> as Canon, HP, Epson, Lexmark, Kodak, etc., the more you know, the more will
> be) to write "at least" drivers also for Linux and ship the with the
> products.
> I think that, if we collect our strength in thousands of signatures, they will
> be compelled to listen to us, one day.
> I wonder why I have still have to search a printer in the Linux database (very
> good work, by the way) to know if my actual printer or the next I will buy
> works "perfectly, mostly, good, badly" and so on.
> The idea is not to make a petition for one product only, but all products to
> come starting from now on.
>
> So, I ask to you if you like the idea and agree, if there is still a similar
> projects (if so, where?), and, in case the project should start, to spread in
> all Linux mailing lists you know all around the world.
>
> Obviously, I will submit the petition to you all before starting the petition.
>
> (Sorry for my poor English, I hope you understood my words)

I already have a project in the works, with the contact addresses of
most major hardware manufactures and software houses. The domain name
is already registered, I'm just stuck with university work before I
can move forward. If you want to help then contact me off list.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.