A modest proposal for proprietary drivers - little OT

Scott slewin at bmts.com
Sun Jul 6 23:14:09 UTC 2008

John Pierce wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 6, 2008 at 11:56 AM, Valter Mura <valtermura at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> as I'm very tired to "fight" against Companies that produce the hardware (I
>> mean, above all, devices such as printers, scanners, and so on) "almost"
>> or "exclusively" for Windows and Mac, I thought it could be useful to open a
>> signature collection for all Linux users, let's say, in the world.
>> The goal is to make a general petition to the big sisters of the world (such
>> as Canon, HP, Epson, Lexmark, Kodak, etc., the more you know, the more will
>> be) to write "at least" drivers also for Linux and ship the with the
>> products.
>> I think that, if we collect our strength in thousands of signatures, they will
>> be compelled to listen to us, one day.
>> I wonder why I have still have to search a printer in the Linux database (very
>> good work, by the way) to know if my actual printer or the next I will buy
>> works "perfectly, mostly, good, badly" and so on.
>> The idea is not to make a petition for one product only, but all products to
>> come starting from now on.
Already, I have always asked companies when I can to have Linux support
and I only purchase computer equipment from companies that support
Linux.  These are the two most important ways to get companies to change
and I am willing to help out as I can.

--
Your friend,
Scott

Sent to you from a Linux computer using Kubuntu Version 8.04