A modest proposal for proprietary drivers - little OT

Valter Mura valtermura at gmail.com
Sun Jul 6 16:56:49 UTC 2008

Hi All,

as I'm very tired to "fight" against Companies that produce the hardware (I
mean, above all, devices such as printers, scanners, and so on) "almost"
or "exclusively" for Windows and Mac, I thought it could be useful to open a
signature collection for all Linux users, let's say, in the world.
The goal is to make a general petition to the big sisters of the world (such
as Canon, HP, Epson, Lexmark, Kodak, etc., the more you know, the more will
be) to write "at least" drivers also for Linux and ship the with the
products.
I think that, if we collect our strength in thousands of signatures, they will
be compelled to listen to us, one day.
I wonder why I have still have to search a printer in the Linux database (very
good work, by the way) to know if my actual printer or the next I will buy
works "perfectly, mostly, good, badly" and so on.
The idea is not to make a petition for one product only, but all products to
come starting from now on.

So, I ask to you if you like the idea and agree, if there is still a similar
projects (if so, where?), and, in case the project should start, to spread in
all Linux mailing lists you know all around the world.

Obviously, I will submit the petition to you all before starting the petition.

(Sorry for my poor English, I hope you understood my words)

Regards
--
Valter
Gnupgp ID: 0xD7274715 in hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com