sudo - adept manager (?)

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sun Jul 6 04:15:02 UTC 2008

On Saturday 05 July 2008, David wrote:
>I get the following dialog box when I run Adept Manager:
>
>"You will not be able to change your system settings in any way (install,
>remove or upgrade software), because this application needs special
>administrator (root) privileges. Please run it as root or through kdesu or
>sudo programs to be able to perform these actions"
>
>Confused.

Have you established a root password?  ISTR I read that you had in a previous
msg a few days ago.

I thought I was being cute when I did that, but things got so confused I had to
reinstall after I had removed the root user and password in an attempt to fix
it back to the ubuntu way.

If you have done that, then you might make it work when you do a "sudo adept"
from a cli screen if you use the root password you setup, but the normal
acceptance of your use password by sudo will not be valid anymore.

sudo application_name Just Works(TM) if you will let it.  And I suspect the
easiest total fix once a root passsword has been setup, is to format &
reinstall.  Save your data off someplace so you can copy it back after the
reinstall.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)