Smaller model laptops in combination with Kubuntu - request for advise?

Jim mickeyboa at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jul 4 19:51:19 UTC 2008

Nigel Ridley wrote:
> Jim wrote:
>
>> O. Sinclair wrote:

>>> This is as yet not released but apparently Dell will release a
>>> minilaptop "real soon now":
>>> http://crave.cnet.com/8301-1_105-9915094-1.html?tag=blog.1
>>>
>>> and since Dell generally does a good job of supporting Ubuntu that could
>>> be an interesting way to go.
>>>
>>> Sinclair
>>>

>> I have a eeePC 702 8gb 1gb and Fedora 9 installed on it , Fedora had all
>> drivers for hardware, with the exception of
>> the Atheos wierless chipset  ,I downloaded
>> madwifii-nr-r3366+ar5007.tar.gz and compiled and it work great including
>> WEP. The wireless chipset is a ar5007eg . livna.org has a madwifi driver
>> also.
>> The eeePC is much faster with the SSD,  than the MSI or Everex that has
>> a standard harddrive. Everex Cloud is dog slow.
>> I would recommend  the eeePC 901 or 1000 because of the 20gb SSD, that
>> would give you plenty of space to install any Linux distro.
>> I bought a ext. CD/DVD rom to install other OS and put in a 2gb memory
>> for $41.00, speeded up noticeably .
>>

> How many writes can the 'hard disk' take, considering that it's flash memory? Linux does write a
> lot to 'hard disk'.
>
> Blessings,
>
> Nigel

I don't know how many writes the SSD would take, but I wouldn't get hung
up about the old fallacies about it burns out after 50 writes. I don't
have a SWAP partition on mine so that cuts down on a lot of writes, and
I have 2gb of memory so I
don't have to be that concern about writing to SSD.
I also have a Everex CloudBook 7" display and it  has a hard drive and
it is slow as molasses , That is if you know what molasses is.