Smaller model laptops in combination with Kubuntu - request for advise?

Jim mickeyboa at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jul 4 15:23:42 BST 2008

O. Sinclair wrote:
> Bas Roufs wrote:
>
>> Dear everybody
>>
>> A few weeks ago, a laptop from me has been stolen again. That's why I am
>> looking for a lighter/ smaller laptop model that is more easy to always
>> carry with me, but which can be combined with Kubuntu.
>>
>> At present, I am considering "ASUS Eeee PC", version 901 or version
>> 1000. Both new versions  seem to become available in September.  Main
>> technical specifications:
>> 1,6 Ghz processor (both models), 1 GB RAM (version 901) or 2 GB RAM
>> (version 1000),  20 GB 'solid state disk' (version 901) or 40 GB
>> (version 1000).
>> More technical details:
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASUS_Eee_PC
>>
>> Both models are being sold along with the Linux distribution 'Xandros'
>> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xandros)
>>
>> Does anybody have any experience at all with some version of 'ASUS Eeee
>> PC'? If you, did you already install Kubuntu on it? If so, how?
>>
>> Are there any other smaller model laptops you could advise me in
>> combination with Kubuntu?
>>
> This is as yet not released but apparently Dell will release a
> minilaptop "real soon now":
> http://crave.cnet.com/8301-1_105-9915094-1.html?tag=blog.1
>
> and since Dell generally does a good job of supporting Ubuntu that could
> be an interesting way to go.
>
> Sinclair

I have a eeePC 702 8gb 1gb and Fedora 9 installed on it , Fedora had all
drivers for hardware, with the exception of
the Atheos wierless chipset  ,I downloaded
madwifii-nr-r3366+ar5007.tar.gz and compiled and it work great including
WEP. The wireless chipset is a ar5007eg . livna.org has a madwifi driver
also.
The eeePC is much faster with the SSD,  than the MSI or Everex that has
a standard harddrive. Everex Cloud is dog slow.
I would recommend  the eeePC 901 or 1000 because of the 20gb SSD, that
would give you plenty of space to install any Linux distro.
I bought a ext. CD/DVD rom to install other OS and put in a 2gb memory
for $41.00, speeded up noticeably .