Google Earth / lib32nss-mdns

O. Sinclair o.sinclair at gmail.com
Fri Jul 4 04:07:16 UTC 2008

Steven Vollom wrote:
> Michael wrote:
>> Steven Vollom wrote:

>>> Dear Michael,
>>>
>>> I responded because I thought you were a friend from Church.   If I have
>>> the wrong person, I need to know the Operating System you are attempting
>>> to install GoogleEarth to help.  My OS is Kubuntu Hardy Heron.  I use
>>> the KDE desktop and it is easy to install using Adept Package Manager.
>>> The last Selection, when you type in googleearth, is the only package
>>> you need download to get it up and working.  It includes the necessary
>>> dependencies to function.  If you are operating Windows, you need to
>>> download you program from Google.  Then re-installation would probably
>>> fix your problem.
>>>
>>> Steven-
>>>

>> Kubuntu 8.04
>>
>> Steven,
>>
>> The program installed just fine.  However, when I run GoogleEarth, it is
>> unable
>> to connect to the internet and gives me an error code 29.  I googled
>> this and the
>> only solution the appeared was to install lib32nss-mdns.  When I apt-get
>> this, it
>> says there is no package lib32nss-mdns.  There is a libnss-mdns package
>> that
>> is already installed.  For now, I am rebooting into XP to run
>> GoogleEarth.  Hopefully,
>> somebody will give me a clue.
>>
>> Michael
>>

> Are you using Kubuntu 8.04 as an operating system?  Also are you using
> KDE 4?  I have those as my operating system and desktop and downloaded
> GoogleEarth using Adept Package Manager.  It works perfectly.  If you
> are using a different operating system or desktop it helps to know.  I
> couldn't get Ktorrent to work until I upgraded to KDE4.  Now everything
> works great.  I haven't used it long enough to find if there are any
> bugs that I am not used to, but so far it works perfect.  The package
> libnss-mdns is not in Adept Package Manager unless it is a part of the
> GoggleEarth package which I suspect it is.  If you are using Microsoft
> Windows, it is a different OS, and I am not too familiar with it.
> Additionally, sometimes other Linux OS's have a program called Synaptic
> Package Manager; if you have that program and operate using Linux, you
> can download GoogleEarth using it, and I believe it will provide all
> dependencies that are needed to run the program.  I am sorry I can't
> help you any better, my experience is not extensive.
Maybe need to point out that for GoogleEarth to be in the package
manager you need the medibuntu software repository:
www.medibuntu.org
as this is non-free software it will not be in the list by default.

I have installed using the "download from Google" version and followed
their instructions and it works perfect. Since somewhere around 7.04
Kubuntu.

It once stopped working, I then reinstalled and it worked again.

Regards,
Sinclair