Peter O'Reilly pr144 at
Thu Jul 3 23:09:23 BST 2008

Yes they are enabled in "system settings  -->  advanced  -->  System services    ??"

This services interface is completely broken and does not work at all.  This is a major bug.

I can't tell if a service is running unless I try and start/stop/restart....on every service listed.

----- Original Message ----
From: Bruce Marshall <bmarsh at>
To: kubuntu-users at
Sent: Thursday, July 3, 2008 3:15:22 PM
Subject: Re: Services

On Thursday 03 July 2008, Peter O'Reilly wrote:
> I have a service called 'noip' that is supposed to  start at bootup.
> In the left hand pane is says start at bootup 'Yes' and 'service is not
> running' (but is is running)
> When I start the service I get this error,
> Starting dynamic address update: /usr/bin/noip2 already running.
> noip2.
> There are other services, like postfix, that are supposed to start at
> bootup but aren't.

Are these other services enabled in your:

system settings  -->  advanced  -->  System services    ??

If so, then check your boot messages  (dmesg)  and see if there are errors.

Also check   /var/log/messages     or /var/log/daemon.log
or   /var/log/syslog

There's lots of places to look for the problem.

kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users at
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: