Kaffeine problem [SOLVED]

Mark Fraser kubuntu at mfraz74.orangehome.co.uk
Wed Jul 2 15:23:03 UTC 2008

On Wednesday 02 July 2008 15:37:09 Wulfy wrote:
> Jonas Norlander wrote:

> >> wulfy at kubuntu:~$ ls /dev/ | grep dvd
> >> dvd1
> >> dvdrw1
> >
> > I think Kaffeine and other xine programs is looking for /dev/dvd as
> > default. It looks like you been hit by this bug
> > https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/udev/+bug/223534 try the
> > workaround i mention there and you should have your /dev/dvd symlink
> > restored. Dont know if thats the cause to your problem but it's worth
> > a try.
> >
> > / Jonas
>
> I looked in xine's parameters under Settings in Kaffeine.  It was
> looking for the dvd at /dev/dvd.  On a whim, I changed that to /dev/dvd1
> and now it plays the DVDs no problem!  It appears to be a wrong error
> message.  What it should say is "where the heck have you hidden the
>
> Thanks to all who helped!  :@D

The other way of doing it would've been to have followed the link that Jonas
posted. Which was to:
cd /etc/udev/rules.d/
sudo mv 75-cd-aliases-generator.rules 75-cd-aliases-generator.rules~
restart the computer and your DVD drive should be back at /dev/dvd.

I don't like the way they say it's only a minor problem as all my machines
here were affected in one way or another.