Kaffeine problem

Jonas Norlander jonorland at gmail.com
Wed Jul 2 09:54:40 BST 2008

2008/7/2 Wulfy <wulfmann at tiscali.co.uk>:
> Mark Fraser wrote:
>> On Tuesday 01 July 2008 20:32:59 Wulfy wrote:
>>
>>> I'm trying to play an encrypted DVD.  I have libdvdcss2 installed from
>>> medibuntu. Kaffeine refuses to autoplay saying it needs the libdvdcss
>>> package.  If I mount the DVD and play the individual .vob files,
>>> everything works.
>>>
>>> Any idea what's wrong?
>>>
>>> Up-to-date Hardy upgraded from Gutsy RC1 disk install (my motherboard
>>> popped and I had to reinstall).  It worked before the reinstall.
>>>

>> Try entering
>> ls /dev/ | grep dvd
>> from Konsole and printing the results here.
>>

> wulfy at kubuntu:~$ ls /dev/ | grep dvd
> dvd1
> dvdrw1

I think Kaffeine and other xine programs is looking for /dev/dvd as
default. It looks like you been hit by this bug
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/udev/+bug/223534 try the
workaround i mention there and you should have your /dev/dvd symlink
restored. Dont know if thats the cause to your problem but it's worth
a try.

/ Jonas