Video Cards on linux

Dana J. Laude kc9aae at att.net
Wed Jul 2 05:06:00 UTC 2008

Juan Kawada wrote:
> Ok, so with linux a lot of people seem to have problems with video
> cards, and their drivers. I'm just wondering, what cards have you used
> and what was the overall experiance with them? Were you using the
> proprietary drivers, or the opensource versions?
<snip>

Well, I'm using a Nvidia GeForce FX 5500 on the desktop, and a GeForce
8600M GS on my laptop and all is well. Both have 256MB of ram and they
work fine for me. Compiz works fine on both computers, although the
desktop is a tad slow. (only has 512MB of ram on a AMD 1.6Ghz cpu)

Both systems are using the proprietary drivers provided from Kubuntu.
(nvidia vs nv)

Dana