controlling touchpad in hardy?

O. Sinclair o.sinclair at gmail.com
Tue Jul 1 06:45:44 UTC 2008

D. R. Evans wrote:
> O. Sinclair said the following at 06/30/2008 03:19 AM :
>

>> Touchfreeze did not make me much happier and I really miss KSynaptic.
>> But after googling and searching around forever I found that adding this
>> line
>> 	Option		"MaxTapTime" 		"2"
>> to the Synaptic Touchpad section of xorg.conf (/etc/X11) disables the
>> tapping totally and I then use the pad-buttons instead for clicking.
>> Peace at last!
>
> Brilliant! Thanks so much for posting this. I'll try this later today.
>
> Frankly, I don't understand how Canonical could have released hardy without
> some obvious way to control this. Sure, the laptop is usable, but it's
> usable in the same intensely frustrating way that it would be usable if it
> were running Windows. In other words: it works, but it's anything but a
> pleasure to use.

Apparently KSynaptics and QSynaptics access some sort of "shared memory"
between users that is seen as a security risk and disabled in Hardy. I
managed to install Ksynaptics but even though I put the correct option
for shared memory "On" in xorg.conf I just got the message that shared
memory is not enabled whenever I tried to run KSynaptics.

GSynaptics is different then? Maybe worth a try

Sinclair