Linux drivers ACER Travelmate 2310 laptop - more info available now, but problem not yet solved.

Bas Roufs basroufs at gmail.com
Wed Jan 30 18:20:13 UTC 2008

Hello everybody

Less half an our after sending my previous message (see copy below), I
found back the exact text of the information I was looking for:
system settings >> tab ADVANCED >> Restricted drivers/ administrative
mode. This delivers the following info:

"Proprietary drivers are being used to make this computer properly.
Proprietary drivers do not have public source code that Ubuntu
developers are free to modify. They represent a risk to you, because
they are only available on the types of computer chosen by the
manufacturer, and security updates to them depend solely on the
responsiveness of the manufacturer. Ubuntu cannot fix or improve these
drivers. "

At present, two of such 'proprietary drivers' are in use:
* Atheros Hardware Access Layer (HAL)
* Software modem driver.

Do you know any possibility to replace these drivers by public source
equivalents?

Respectfully Yours,

Bas.