Q: finding package that contains a man page?

D. R. Evans doc.evans at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 15:39:25 UTC 2008

D. Michael McIntyre said the following at 01/28/2008 05:03 PM :
> On Monday 28 January 2008, D. R. Evans wrote:
>
>> Stupid question: how do I find out which package contains the man page for
>> getaddrinfo()?
>
> I don't know how to find out which package it's in, but I have that manpage,
> and an educated guess says it might be in this one:
>
> manpages-posix-dev

Great. Yes, that was it, thank you very much.

However, I wonder exactly how I could have found this out without recourse
to asking the reflector (and relying on your intelligent guesswork)...

John L Fjellstad said the following at 01/29/2008 02:50 AM :

> Use apt-file.

How? I have installed apt-file, but I don't see how it helps.

The apt-file man page leads me to believe that "apt-file search
getaddrinfo" ought to be helpful, but it's not :-( It returns nothing:

----

[H:~] apt-file search getaddrinfo
[H:~]

----

Derek Broughton said the following at 01/28/2008 06:19 PM :

> dlocate is useful.  Of course, then you need to know that dlocate is in
> dlocate :-)

So what command would find the package that contains the getaddrinfo man
page for me? I'm not trying to be denser than usual; I really can't guess.

> otoh, I don't have "man getaddrinfo" on my system, so if I thought it was
> correct, I'd go to packages.ubuntu.com and search for it.

For my edification, what would you search for there? I had tried that (and
just tried it again), and I couldn't guess what I might want to search for.

(And I'm not also sure what you mean by "if I thought it was correct"; if
you thought what was correct?)

  Doc